Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tagar Thakappa

There once lived an old woman, Ajji, who was very happy as her granddaughter Akanksha was coming to visit her!

Ajji started making all of Akanksha's favourite dishes, let's see what they were.

Snacks like Besan laddu, chakali, Shankar pali, anarasa, chiroti, chivda,bhakar vadi mmmm…. mouth watering and delicious the aromas of all that Ajji was cooking were wafting out of her hut.

And the hungry tagar, (that's a ram, a he-sheep) was attracted to the hut. What a sight he was, huge horns on his head and a strong body to match and a bell in his neck which always jingled every time he move his head," Gilgilik, Gilgilik." He was just waiting for a chance to gobble up all the eats.

Poor Ajji did not know this, for the wily Ram was well hidden. Had she known, would she go out to buy the bananas that she knew Akanksha loved from a nearby neighbour?

The mighty tagar pushed the door of the hut, for Ajji had not chained it nor had she locked it, the cunning animal also managed to close the door of the hut.

Gobble gobble gobble gobble he ate frantically for he knew he had very little time before Ajji returned. He gulped down all the besan laddu, polished off the chakali, Shankar pali, anarasa, chiroti, chivda, bhakar vadi. He was about to escape when Ajji returned.

Somehow Ajji was cautious she did not enter the hut.

"Who is there inside my house?" she asked.

Now Tagar was scared, for all his strength he was scared of the beating that Ajji was capable of giving him. So he said in a very loud voice, "I am Tagar Thakappa, I can break the tiger's teeth, the wild buffalo is scared of me as I can break his horns. Should I come bare handed of bring a rope." And at this point he moved his head so the bell hanging in his neck went,"Gilgilik, Gilgilik."

Ajji, poor old woman was scared. She told the passing cat whom she used to always give a saucer of milk see who was inside.

The cat came and said," Meaw maieo? Who is there inside Ajji's house? Come out at once!"

The Tagar was not scared of the cat so he said"I am Tagar Thakappa, I can break the tiger's teeth, the wild buffalo is scared of me as I can break his horns. Should I come bare handed of bring a rope. Gilgilik, Gilgilik."

Meiow said the cat and ran off as fast as it could.

Next Ajji asked the faithful dog to see who was inside.
The dog came and said," Bow wow? Who is there inside Ajji's house? Come out at once!"

The Tagar was not scared of the dog also so he said"I am Tagar Thakappa, I can break the tiger's teeth, the wild buffalo is scared of me as I can break his horns. Should I come bare handed of bring a rope. Gilgilik, Gilgilik."

The scared dog ran off with his tail in between his legs.
The old woman was in despair and was in tears when her neighbour was passing by. Seeing her looking so worried he asked," Ajji what happened? You look worried."

So Ajji told her all that had happened.
"Hmm," he said, "Ajji I think I can help you .Get me a strong stick I will teach Tagar Thakappa a lesson."

When he had the stick he asked in a loud stern voice," Hey who is this? Come out at once!!"

Tagar Thakappa was scared now. He understood that now there was no escape. He ran out as fast as he could, but he was not fast enough. the man hit him three or may be four times.

Iit was enoungh Tagar Thakappa never came back to Ajji's hut again.

2 comments:

  1. naughty old tagar..! i feel like i have gone back some 20 yrs, reading ur story..love to re live those childhood days with so many folk tales n so many fairy tales :)

    ReplyDelete